The Minnesota DNR has 5 boating safety tips:
• Wear your life jacket – And make sure children wear theirs.
• Stay sober – Booze and boating don’t mix. Alcohol is the #1 factor in boating fatalities.
• Tell a friend – Tell someone where you’re going and when you will be back. If you’re not back, they should call 911. Bring a phone or VHF radio.
• Be weather aware – Don’t let a storm sneak up on you – delay your trip or head to shore. Go slow in rough water to avoid capsizing.
• Boat smart – Take a boating safety course. Know your boat; stay alert while scanning for dangers; stay seated and low in the boat to prevent falls overboard.
For the MINNESOTA Life Boating Guide 2018 go to www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/boatwater/index.html